Tuesday, December 8, 2009

When it goes right...

...and when it goes wrong.

Well, maybe not really wrong but just not optimal.

The VISC Wasabi GU-12 soccer match I shot in the morning Saturday went wrong because I was trying to get out of the house too fast.

Bright-bright-bright cloudless sunny mid-morning day with a low winter sun angle at the south end of the pitch.

Didn't put the 1.4x extender on the 70-200mm f2.8L, so I was short about 28mm on the wide end, and short about 80mm on the tele end of what I could have had, which would have been 98mm-280mm.

Really makes a difference for field sports...

Then I forgot to make a Mr. Green Jeans exposure compensation for all the green: green grass, green uniforms, green background in the woods outside the playfield fence.

Then I found I had forgotten to empty out my CF cards from the previous night's basketball games, but since I had almost 2 hours before the next match -- Buccaneers GU-13 -- I could easily go home and fix everything: empty out the CF cards, put on the 1.4x extender, and actually sit and think about why the soccer match I'd just shot was consistently over-exposed by 2/3 stop...

The afternoon's match with the extender and with exposure compensation for all the green yielded consistently better shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment